Tuesday 28 August 2012

Topic 2 Facebook's Privacy Issues


Facebook’s privacy issues! 
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2011/08/08/facebooks-privacy-issues-are-even-deeper-than-we-knew/

Are you aware of this? Would you still stay on Facebook after knowing this?



To be honest, I have always been aware of this privacy issues. As a students, I am quite active in using facebook for not only entertainment purposes but also educational purposes. It is also a place for me to be able to connect with old friends and also family member. I don't really update much important information such as my real picture as profile picture(I usually use any picture which is not related to me), phone number, e-mail address, home address and other information as I do not want the public to be able to view and use it for bad things.




 Although I know that facebook have the option to let only certain people to view your profile, but that does not make me feel secure at all. One of the privacy problem I encounter on facebook is when I wanted to use certain application such as online games, it will always ask me to let them access some of my information which are not reasonable at all!


But Alas, I would still stay on facebook even knowing there are greater risk about the privacy issues and how it might affect me. Why? Like I said before, I used this social network not only for entertainment but also for educational purposes. Most of my classes will have their own private group where we can discuss with each other about our subject. Not only that, It is also the place where I want to always connect with all my friends!






6 comments:

  1. I think you should put at least one photo on your facebook profile because maybe your old friends or your family want to get connected with you through facebook. It kinda sad if they added wrong person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha you are right.. but even if I don't they can always message me to make sure that I am the person that they know and want to add as friend :O..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I won't randomly accept any friend request either.. until I am sure that I know who the person is.. sorry for the double post comment :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to message a stranger...thats soooo awkward! :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that we using Facebook currently and impossible that we will just switch off Facebook because for me, Facebook is the place where my family that live oversea will follow our life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entertaining conversation between you two, I agree that the message feature can be used to its extent as an alternative to stay safe on Facebook, by not revealing your picture to public. Problems from there on are simply a matter of personality.

    I am with you on the games asking for permission to allow access to our information. I do not understand why it has to be associated with our personal information when it can simply ask us to input a name to be used with the game. Also, you've done the right thing not to completely trust Facebook privacy protection.

    ReplyDelete